Francine's Bean stew with courgette dumplings
A versatile dish which can use different vegetables depending on the season. Vegetarian.
- 1 400g can tomatoes
- 1 400g can beans (any variety)
- 1 onion diced
- Oil to taste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 capsicums diced (could also use any other firm vegetable e.g. corn, zucchini etc.)
- 200g fresh firm green vegetable (beans, asparagus etc.) cut into 2 inch lengths
- ¾ cup flour
- 150g feta crumbled
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 1-2 courgettes grated
- Fresh herbs to serve (coriander, parsley, dill etc.)
1. Mix flour, feta, baking powder, courgettes, a little salt, together in a bowl.
2. Add just enough water so it comes together in a thick wet dough. Do not overmix. Set aside.
3. Fry onions, capsicums, and the cinnamon stick in a large pan in a little oil till onions are soft and starting to golden.
4. Add tomatoes and beans. Place a lid on the pan and cook gently for about 15 minutes. You can use a sheet of tin foil tucked in snug if you don’t have a lid.
5. Taste and salt the tomato bean mix. Add the fresh greens. You might need to add some water to the mix here if it is looking a little dry. We want it to be about the consistency of runny yoghurt (although it will be much lumpier)
6. Spoon out tablespoon sized blobs of dumpling batter made in step one and gently place into the tomato bean mix. Replace the lid and cook for 20 minutes.
7. Check the dumplings are cooked by opening one with a spoon and checking it is not doughy, although they will be very moist.
8. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve.